Sunday 10 October 2021

Game Brainstorm

 Game Idea 1.

Hidden Object Game

My inspiration:

Gab Smolders is a youtuber I discovered at a younger age when my interest in hidden object games grew. I first encountered these games in primary school when my teacher would play some with us every friday. 

Link to Gab Smolder's hidden object game playlist: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGxV8JnoT5Qjqjtai_aH6iUghbGYnlhuU

I will use Unity to create this game and present it as my final project if I pick this idea. Preferably I would like this game to be 2D in the same way most of these games are made. Not "Terraria" kind of 2D.

My idea for the storyline is:

The player is a detective and there has been a murder with multiple suspects. This idea isn't fully developed yet as I would add more onto it in the next phase of the project. The victim is a woman found in her dorm room. The body is found by her own mother. Her roommate and also the victims best friend is missing. Other confirmed suspects would be the victims boyfriend and his ex. The objective is to find the killer towards the end of the game when you have collected all the evidence against the unknown killer and put him behind bars. In this game there will be mini games for example to open a door you have to decode the combination.  

I will aim for the game's appearance to be dark and it won't be set in the modern era. I have seen tutorials on how to create a game like this and some of them involved Adobe Photoshop. In my opinion this game would be the hardest idea to make into a game out of all the other three down below. The game will be set in an older era from around the 1930s-1990s in New York. The victims body is found in a dorm room because she attends NYU there. I will have to make my own suspenceful music and overall sound effects. I will have to hire voice actors for each character and try to do the sound effects like for example driving a car, wind and the sound of a busy street at night. I feel like this idea will be difficult as there is lots of art involved with it.


Game idea 2.

Escape game

My inspiration: https://www.roblox.com/games/6205205961/Escape-Running-Head
Roblox is one of the most popular gaming platforms in the world right now and as one of their creators I looked through my colleagues games to find inspiration. I looked at their popularity and I found this one. It had 6.1K players at the time I took this screenshot as i am writing this post it now has 7.6K. Games that involves the main character escaping are extremely popular. This is idea is a game where you're a dog that is running away from evil humans because they want to test products on you. I really enjoy psychological games and I feel as this would emotionally connect the players as animal testing is an issue we are trying to fight against in real life. Many people have pets and they can't imagine them going through this nevermind putting themselves in their shoes. The game will be set in places like the factory where they imprisoned the animals, a forest, a rescue shelter, streets of New York and then finally in the end the dogs home. The game will be set in the modern era as it's a modern issue. The game will have characters like rescue shelter workers, the evil humans who imprisoned the dog and it's owner. 

I will use Unity to create this game and present it as my final project if I pick this idea. This game would be 3D in a 2D point of view like "Little Nightmares". The game's appearance will be very dark and little colour will be used. I want the game to seem very depressive as the animal struggles for freedom. I will have to make my own sound effects for this game. I can try and record my dog barking but with some emotional scenes I might have to use some from the internet and harvard reference them if I can. I will have to hire voice actors for the humans in the game.



Game Idea 3.

Dog Championship

Inspiration:

Deadspin. (n.d.). Seriously, Nobody Wants To Host The 2022 Olympics. [online] Available at: https://deadspin.com/seriously-nobody-wants-to-host-the-2022-olympics-1641262594 [Accessed 10 Oct. 2021].


My inspiration for my third idea comes from my love for dogs and the Olympics.

My idea for this gam consists of different breeds of dogs from around the world to compete in the Olympics and if I still had to time to make more of the game I would add in the Winter Olympics so the player would have an option between the two. The player would choose their country and their breed and compete against the other breeds like people do in real life.


I will use Unity to create this game and present it as my final project if I pick this idea. It will be a 3D game and the appearance of it will be bright and colourful. In my opinion the only difficulty with this idea will be getting the sound effects of all the different breeds. This is impossible therefore I would have to take them from the internet for my final project and Harvard reference if I can. With this difficulty I am leaving this idea as my last option out of all the other ideas. Each contestant will have the Olympic uniform on for each task with the flags of their countries over their heads. I will make my own music for the background of the game. The music will change depending on what scene you are on for example when you win you will have upbeat victorious music but if you lose the song would be representing the failure therefore it would be less upbeat and more silent. I will hire a voice actor to announce the beginning of the rounds for example "Welcome to the Doggy Winter Olympics". There will be other sound effects like crowds cheering but once again I might have to take this off the internet as I can't recreate this and other sound effects like the horn when a race begins for example.




Game Idea 4.


Limited time speed game


My inspiration: https://www.roblox.com/games/192800/Work-at-a-Pizza-Place

Here is another inspiration I took from one of my colleagues from Roblox. This game is very popular and if you ask any Roblox player if they heard of this game they will say yes. In this game you choose the role and work under that criteria. If you pick "Cashier" you will manage the orders, If you pick "Manager" you can give people bonuses etc. There is a pizza delivery role that I loved while playing this game. I took inspiration from that and I made it into an idea where you have a time limit to deliver a specific order and if you fail the level you can't go to the next one. I will have the main camera face the delivery vehicle just like in the lessons we did for Unity this week. This game will have a bright and colourful appearance and I will create it using Unity hub. The game will be 3D and every level will be set in different places around the world like Rome, Sydney, Rio De Janeiro etc. It will be set in the modern era but I might change this as the fast food industry we know today started during the 60s therefore I feel like the main character the player would be playing as would look cool in 2000's fashion or a hippie look. For the sound effects I will try to make as many of my own as possible. If I use a scooter as a vehicle option for the game I might have to take some sound effects from the internet and harvard reference them. I might have to hire voice actors for this as there will be multiple main character options such as a girl delivery character and a boy delivery character. I can make my own music for the background of the game.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Dominika you had some great ideas in this post, The idea I liked the most was the 2nd one an escape game and basing it off a real life thing about dogs and them running away from evil humans and the end goal or there reward from running away could be the dogs home I really like this idea and the fact that it points out an important cause and something that should be focused on more nowadays as animal cruelty is such an awful thing. Good luck with whatever idea you go with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dominika ! And what I have to say is, Wow ! I love your third game idea about the dogs and the Olympic games. I really love how you correlate your love for dogs and the Olympics and getting your inspiration for a game from there. This is great because you will find the fun in making the game instead of it being like a chore. I seen how there is options where you are able to pick out what type of breed and what type of country you want to be which is actually great because it gives the player some sense of expression because there can be players from Germany for example and the one country they will pick first is Germany because that's where they are from. I also got to ask, I wonder how many breeds of dogs will you add in the game ? And how many sort of countries will you add ? Will there also be different continents ? I got to say, in my opinion this is a great game idea and I wish all the best in your game design journey and good luck with what idea you choose!

    ReplyDelete