Saturday 16 October 2021

Game Idea Research

For week three we have brainstormed ideas for our final game. This week we have to choose one of the four ideas we have discussed and elaborate on it further. I choose my "Escape game" idea. This game idea is something i definitely would like to work on for the rest of the semester as I like playing escape game myself. Franbow and Little Nightmares are my favourite games and both of them are extremely similar. This idea will be difficult to execute but I already have some experience with game making so I am hoping that experience will help me in this case.

           An image that represents my game:


link: https://www.change.org/p/ginette-petitpas-taylor-make-canada-an-animal-testing-free-country-by-2020

Change.org. (n.d.). Sign the Petition. [online] Available at: https://www.change.org/p/ginette-petitpas-taylor-make-canada-an-animal-testing-free-country-by-2020 [Accessed 16 Oct. 2021].


I chose this image as the image to represent my game as I would like to do an opening scene in the game similar to this photograph where many new dogs are brought into a factory or testing centre and one of them breaks out and escapes aka the main character.


During the beginning of week 4 I have conducted research online to gather a variation of game mechanics that I may like to include in my final project:


Movement mechanism 

Turn mechanism

Instant death

Avoiding unkillable objects

Timed / race

Jumping

Camera controls

Auto saving


I will choose three mechanics from the above list and discuss them in more depth.

Research Links & Harvard Referencing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYCXxuQI8CA

www.youtube.com. (n.d.). 10 Modern Video Game Mechanics We Take For Granted. [online] Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYCXxuQI8CA [Accessed 16 Oct. 2021].


https://inventwithpython.com/blog/2012/07/30/need-a-game-idea-a-list-of-game-mechanics-and-a-random-mechanic-mixer/

inventwithpython.com. (n.d.). Need a Game Idea? A List of Game Mechanics and a Random Mechanic Mixer. - The Invent with Python Blog. [online] Available at: https://inventwithpython.com/blog/2012/07/30/need-a-game-idea-a-list-of-game-mechanics-and-a-random-mechanic-mixer/ [Accessed 16 Oct. 2021].

Timed / race

The main theme evolving my final game will be animal testing therefore the main character will have to run away from unkillable enemies. This will be timed as it's a race each time, If the player is too slow to run away they will be taken away and have an instant death. This means the movement mechanism mentioned in the list plays a big part in this.


Turn Mechanism

In my final game to go to the next stage you will have to complete an action or collect an item to move on. The race's mentioned above will be part of the turn mechanism as they cannot go on to the next part of the game unless they run away successfully. They will have to complete many turn mechanics until the end.


Camera Controls

I feel like camera controls is another idea I would like to implement into my game. The player will have control over their view. This can subconsciously pull the player into the game more. This can help with the escape parts in the game as the player won't feel restrained.


Auto Saving

I would like to try and implement auto saving in my game as I personally know forgetting to save a game manually is not pleasant and it takes away the motivation to catch up to where you left off. 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Dominika, I really like your game idea and the game mechanics behind it. The timed/race idea is great , in my opinion any game that has a time is great and thrilling. Auto saving is a great idea, as I forget to save all of my things too and then when I go back everything is gone XD. I think all of the game mechanics are useful in the game that you would like to make.

    ReplyDelete